5 Questions for Bruce Rauner About Dennis Murashko
While A Scandal Brews, Rauner Remains Silent
Chicago, IL – Last week, reports surfaced about why former Rauner General Counsel Dennis Murashko was summarily dismissed from the administration and escorted from his office. The firing may have been associated with a memo Murashko wrote that questioned “whether the administration was properly keeping politics out of the office." Another story also alleged that Rauner filled his administration with Illinois Policy Institute staff in exchange for $30 million in campaign donations from Dan Proft's and Dick Uihlein's networks.
Others have claimed that Murashko himself abused the powers of his office by handing out, "plum duties to someone with whom he had a personal relationship." While allegations continue to swirl, Rauner has dodged questions on the controversy saying only, “I will not comment on rumors.”
Here are five questions Bruce Rauner should answer on the abrupt firing of one of his closest advisers:
- Why was Dennis Murashko dismissed?
- Bruce Rauner told reporters there would be no further departures from his administration before announcing Murashko’s departure later that day. What changed?
- When did Bruce Rauner learn about the allegations that Dennis Murashko abused the powers of his office, and what did he do to fix the problem?
- Did Dennis Murashko's memo on the need for proper boundaries between Rauner’s political and government operations have anything to do with the $30 million promised to him by Dan Proft and Dick Uihlein?
- What has Bruce Rauner done to address the ethics issues raised in Dennis Murashko’s memo?