FRONT PAGE: Rauner’s “Accomplishments” Don’t Add Up
Chicago, IL – After rolling out a list of “accomplishments” that was universally ridiculed, Bruce Rauner landed himself on the front page of the Chicago Sun-Times:
Following the release of Rauner campaign’s list of non-accomplishments, the JB for Governor campaign unveiled our own Rauner Top 10 “accomplishments” yesterday on WorstGov.com:
1. BUDGET CRISIS: For 736 days, Bruce Rauner created a historic budget crisis that decimated vital services across the state. Rauner closed social service agencies and small business development centers, withheld billions of dollars from doctors and school administrators, and cost thousands of Illinoisans their jobs.
2. VETERANS’ HOME CRISIS: Under Bruce Rauner’s gross mismanagement and neglect, 13 Illinois Veterans have lost their lives from Legionnaires’ disease at the Illinois Veterans’ Home in Quincy. Now, 11 families are suing the state for negligence and some lawsuits even allege that Rauner’s Department of Veterans’ Affairs failed to notify families of the outbreaks and test residents for the disease.
3. MEDICAID SCHEME: Bruce Rauner inked the largest procurement in state history behind closed doors and is now under fire for skyrocketing costs and violating procurement law. A health policy expert said Rauner’s Medicaid overhaul could destabilize Medicaid and cause significant care disruptions.
4. MURASHKO MEMO: Shortly after authoring a detailed memo on ethical guidelines for interactions between the governor’s official and political offices, Bruce Rauner’s chief legal counsel abruptly resigned. Questions about potential ethics violations are mounting while Rauner refuses to give Illinoisans the answers they deserve as to why Murashko resigned.
5. DCFS IN SHAMBLES: Bruce Rauner’s understaffed DCFS has been plagued by gut wrenching failures, leading to a “toxic” environment at the agency. Whether it’s handing out no-bid contracts or mishandling heartbreaking cases, Rauner’s DCFS has consistently failed Illinois children and families.
6. SNAP TERMINATED: As the holiday season began this year, over 30,000 Illinois working families were not receiving their SNAP benefits due to Bruce Rauner’s dysfunctional DHS.
7. STAFF FIRINGS: In a move straight out of the Trump playbook, Bruce Rauner cycled through senior staff this summer, including firing his whole communications team after only 37 days on the job.
8. SCHOOL FUNDING CRISIS: In a desperate effort to ram through his special interest agenda, Rauner manufactured a school funding crisis that ended in him signing face-saving legislation while forcing through a back-door voucher program.
9. CREDIT DOWNGRADES: Rauner pushed Illinois’ credit rating to the brink of junk while dragging five Illinois universities’ down to junk status and decimating public higher education across the state.
10. BILL BACKLOG: Bruce Rauner’s budget crisis tripled Illinois’ bill backlog, leaving medical providers, schools, and social service agencies with billions in IOUs. When Illinois legislators tried to pass transparency legislation, Rauner vetoed it only to be overridden by a bipartisan group of legislators.