Another Terrible Week for the “Worst Republican Governor In America”
“It Certainly is Showing on His Increasingly Haggard Face.”
“No One Really Likes Him.”
Chicago, IL – Bruce Rauner is stumbling through another nightmarish week, and Crain’s says, “it certainly is showing on his increasingly haggard face.” Here are the crises that Rauner has been dealing with this week:
- A fourth Illinois GOP congressman refused to back Rauner’s re-election bid, while praising his rival.
- Dick Uihlein, who gave $2.6 million to Rauner, was revealed as a top donor to a Roy Moore Super PAC.
- Rauner’s secret $63 billion Medicaid deal came under fire after cost estimates skyrocketed 57 percent overnight.
- Rauner was asked about those three issues, but dodged every question at a press conference.
- After saying he’s “applauding Congress” for trying to pass Donald Trump’s devastating tax plan, Rauner and his campaign went on emergency clean up mode and quickly backtracked without coming out against the plan that would undeniably hurt working families.
- Rauner’s campaign promoted, deleted, defended, and deleted (again) praise from Jim Tobin, an activist who denies slavery’s role in the Civil War.
- Crain’s forecasted that “Rauner’s winter of woes [is] just beginning” since he’s been “caught in a sort of awkward middle ground where no one really likes him.”
- The National Review debuted a scathing cover story on Rauner, dubbing him “The Worst Republican Governor in America.”
- That cover story prompted a wave of local media attention from the Chicago Sun-Times, ABC 7, NBC 5, WTTW Chicago Tonight, Decatur Radio, WJOL, WLS-AM and Patch.
“After a week of unforced errors, crises, and bad headlines, Bruce Rauner proved well deserving of his new title: ‘The Worst Republican Governor in America,’” said Pritzker campaign spokeswoman Jordan Abudayyeh. “Bruce Rauner once again showed himself to be his own worst enemy as he stumbled through another week of his failed governorship.”